Food Rescue Program Specialist Job Description
Organization: Open Cupboard provides fresh, healthy food at no cost to people who need it. Open Cupboard operates Today’s Harvest, which is a free market that provides fresh produce, meat, dairy, and bakery items we rescue each day from local grocery stores, farms, and other partners. We have two market locations, both located in Oakdale.
Position: The Food Rescue Specialist will pick up fresh produce and other grocery items from local grocers, and will also support operations and customer service for our Today’s Harvest and Drive Up programs. Driving our 16 ft box truck is a required element of this position.
Hours: This is a full-time position with a somewhat flexible schedule. Work hours would include Saturdays from 9am-1pm and the position will require some weekday morning hours for food rescue driving duties.
Reports to: Executive Director
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Load, transport, unload and store donated food from local grocers to Today’s Harvest or other Open Cupboard programs
- Work collaboratively and effectively with grocery store staff to minimize interruption to their regular activities while picking up food. Maintain positive relationships with local grocers and communicate with Food Rescue partners about any program changes, including date or pick up time alterations
- Ensure food safety and quality guidelines are being met
- Lift boxes of product and use pallet jack to move and load product
- Log and maintain records of incoming products and related information
- Assist customers and support operations in the market and in our Drive Up program.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and ability to pass a DOT physical evaluating vision, hearing, cardiovascular health, etc. A special DOT license (Class A or Class B) is not required.
- Experience using a pallet jack is preferred
- Physical ability to load and unload boxes and bags on a regular basis, up to 50 pounds
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Bilingual (Spanish or Hmong) a plus
- Understanding of and commitment to Open Cupboard’s mission.
Compensation: $19.50/hour. This position will be eligible for PTO and health insurance with additional employee-paid benefits available.
How to apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will be open until filled.