Help feed your community! We depend on incredible volunteers like you to serve families in need.
Volunteer to Nourish your Community
To meet the ever-increasing need in the community, we are in need of more volunteers! Open Cupboard relies on the hard work of generous and dedicated volunteers like you for everything we do.
We are serving more families than ever, and we need YOUR help to keep going! There is a lot to do every day, and we wouldn’t be able to keep up without our incredible volunteers.
We need your help to to pick up rescued food, sort and stock donations, and help serve families in need. We ask that most volunteers commit to serving two or more shifts per month, though many of our volunteers serve more than once a week. Please keep in mind that most positions at the food shelf require being on your feet on a concrete floor throughout your shift.
Volunteer Duties Might Include
- Organizing and sorting fresh produce, deli, meat, frozen food, and dairy products
- Packaging food for drive-up service
- Sorting food donations
- Helping unload food from delivery and food rescue trucks
- Stocking and organizing shelves and market displays
- Preparing drive-up service with the items to be distributed for the day
- Assisting with the car-side customer intake process
- Greeting shoppers, helping with shopping experience, and answering questions about the market
- Helping clients select items from our drive-up choice rack
- Loading food directly into customer’s cars
- Helping with language translation
- “Backroom” help, breaking down boxes, taking out trash and organic waste, etc.
Want to know which volunteer position is right for you? Check out our Volunteer Shift Flowchart!
We also welcome volunteers who are interested in serving in other capacities on specialty tasks, like data entry, building maintenance, photography, or graphic design. If you have skills to share, let us know!
If you are ready to jump in and volunteer, please fill out a Volunteer Application Form to get started. We would love to have you join our team!